10 ways to nip cellulite in the bud
May 28, 2019
90% of women will have cellulite at some point in their life and while there is nothing wrong with owning it, it´s nice to know that there are things you can do to reduce the appearance of it.
Cellulite occurs when underlying fat deposits begin to push through layers of collagen fibers, or connective tissue, under the skin.
Hormones, age, low blood circulation and diet can all affect the amount and appearance of cellulite but that doesn´t mean that we can´t do anything about it.
For me it tends to migrate to the top of my thighs & my butt when I´ve indulged in sugar, alcohol or both.
I´ve long sought for a miracle cure but the reality is that the most efficient strategy is one that addresses all fronts and includes the following steps:
- Up your water intake. If you want to get rid of something, you need to provide your body with the vessel to do so. Aim for 1,5 to 2 liters of water per day.
- Reduce your caffein intake to 1 cup per day.
- Reduce alcohol to a strict minimum. I saw a really big difference on my skin when I cut out alcohol completely but even if you reduce to 1 or 2 glasses per week, you´ll notice the difference.
- Cut out the crap from your diet. The main culprits for cellulite are sugar, processed foods, gluten, dairy and refined carbs. It may sound like a lot to remove but the easiest way to do this is by doing the 10 day REAL FOOD RESET contained in FITBODYFRESHMIND. The recipes are delicious, filling and packed with anti inflammatory foods that will boost your metabolism and make your skin glow.
- Foam rolling! Yes this works! Technically called Myofascial release, foam rolling works by alleviating adhesions or “knots” in soft tissue to restore elasticity & muscle motion. By guiding your body back and forth over the roller you´re basically giving yourself a deep tissue massage. It may feel painful in the beginning but the more you do it, the less pain you will feel and the greater the results! There´s a 20 minute video targeting the most important areas coming to FITBODYFRESHMIND this Friday.
- Pop into the Infrared Sauna. This thing works wonders, not just for your cellulite but for your overall skin & sense of wellbeing! Head to PUR Wellness if you´re in London or OM.LIFE Wellness if you´re in NYC.
- Use a massage glove or a brush in the shower and rub it on your legs from bottom to top. If your glove is a little too rough, use some soap to make it gentler. You will see that your skin goes a little red. Don´t go to hard. Be gentle. At the end of the shower, spray your legs (and butt!) with cold water for as long as you can cope! I hate it but it works :)
- After the shower use a thick hydrating cream and massage your legs & butt, focusing on the troubled areas. If you have it in you, try kneading out the knots. It´s painful but it really works… I don´t use any particular cream but green tea based creams are said to be helpful.
- Uplift that booty with some Pilates exercises. Exercise alone will not get rid of cellulite but toning the areas where your body tends to store its orange peal can help. For me strenuous high impact exercise is actually counterproductive because it makes my legs feel tired and swollen. This is why I prioritize low impact exercise like Pilates because it sculpts my body creating long, lean lines and a perky butt. You´ll find over 30 of my workout videos to lift your booty (and your mood) on FITBODYFRESHMIND.
- Sleep & relax. I left this one last even though it´s probably one of the more important ones. Our bodies repair & recover when we have good quality sleep and are relaxed. This is when we go into the parasympathetic nervous system and our body lets go and transforms. If we spend too much time in the sympathetic nervous system, our bodies are constantly under stress and never get the chance to recuperate so rest & relaxation is super important!
If you are serious about wanting to get into your best shape this summer (and beyond) but need a little extra push, this is the program for you.